The Adventure Center of Asheville will host
The 3rd Annual Winter Wonder Walk
December 15-16, 27-30, 2023
The Adventure Center of Asheville is excited to host the 3rd Annual Winter Wonder Walk presented by Asheville Plays.
Celebrate the Wonder of Winter with a live-action immersive story-walk on an OUTDOOR trail complete with live characters, lights, and a blustery guest, Jack Frost. The Winter Wonder Walk follows the pages of the storybook of Winterland- full of holiday magic for all ages! Guests will set out on a quest through the kingdom of Winterland to find Jack Frost and the Sugar Plum Fairy and stop a terrible blizzard while meeting many wonderful characters along the way.
Created by Asheville Plays, Winter Wonder Walk is hosted by the Adventure Center of Asheville for the 3rd year.
Under our heated tent, families can meet Mrs. Clause, enjoy a holiday market with locally made unique gifts and a kids’ play area. There will also be tasty concessions and activities for the whole family.
Don’t miss out on the Treetops Adventure Park Glow Trail, which will be available for guests age 4 years or older! Climb on two of our AERIAL trails while they are illuminated with thousands of colorful twinkle and laser lights. This is available with a combo pass only! Please review the Glow Trail Section on this page for age requirements and adult escorts.
If your kids are S’Mitten with books, pick up a S’Mitten With Books card at the Adventure Center of Asheville on Fridays to Sundays or Malaprops Bookstore. Have them read 10 books and bring a filled out card with you to the event. They will get a free ticket to general admission to the Winter Wonder Walk. Available for kids age 12 and under. (Not valid for a combo pass.)
Doors and festivities open at 6pm each night. The aerial Glow Trail will open at 6pm. The Winter Wonder Walk will open at 6:30 pm, with the last entrance to the Winter Wonder Walk at 8:30.
This event supports our entire community by raising money for meals for Manna Foodbank with our Memories Making Meals program. Every ticket purchased donates $1 or 4 meals!
IT IS A PERFECT WAY TO CELEBRATE THE WINTER SEASON WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!
Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
on the Winter Wonder Walk
Combo Passes that include the Glow Trail may sell out. Winter Wonder Walk tickets do not.
Please read our FAQs and Glow Trail Rules before purchasing tickets.
5:45-6:30 Arrival Time for Combo Passes- access for those with Combo Passes will be assigned a Glow Trail time on arrival
6:00 Festival Area & Glow Trail Open
6:30 Winter Wonder Walk Open
7:00 Glow Trail line closes
8:30 Winter Wonder Walk line closes
Ages 3 and under at the Winter Wonder Walk only | Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
WINTER WONDER WALK ONLY | Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
COMBO PASS: WINTER WONDER WALK & 2 AERIAL GLOW TRAILS | Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
Glow Trail access will be assigned on arrival.
S’Mitten With Books Free Winter Walk General Admission
Bring in a completed S’Mitten With Books card to the event and kids age 12 and under get one free general admission ticket per completed card to the Winter Wonder Walk. (Cannot be used for combo pass.) (Cards can be picked up at the Adventure Center of Asheville on Fridays to Sundays or at Malaprops Bookstore in Downtown Asheville.)
- December 15-16
- December 27-30
Aerial Glow Trail
- Ages 4 and over
- Ages 4-6 can climb the Purple Trail twice without a paid adult escort (this trail is mainly on the ground.) They are Required to have an adult watching.
- Ages 4-6 can choose to climb the higher Green or Blue Trails (10 feet high) but are Required to have 1 paying/climbing adult escort (18+) per child.
- Ages 7- 12 can climb the (10 feet high) Green or Blue Trails by themselves but require an adult (18+) watching.
- Ages 13+ must have an adult on property.
- As these aerial trails are only 10 feet off the ground, they are a perfect holiday treat for all ages including adults! (Yellow, Orange, Red, & Black trails will not be open or available for this event.)
- To climb the Aerial Glow Trail, every participant must:
- be wearing closed-toe shoes
- be wearing clothing that a full-body harness (with leg and arm straps) can fit over
- be able to fit a helmet on their head
- Maximum weight limit is 265 lbs.
- Waivers signed by legal guardians are required. Please fill out required waivers at time of purchase to save time at check-in. (2023 Adventure Center of Asheville and/or Kolo Bike Park waivers are not valid for this event, you must fill out a 2023 Combo Pass waiver to participate.)
IMPORTANT: With a COMBO PASS, please arrive between 5:45 and 6:30. Each activity will take between 45 minutes to an hour depending upon lines. Guests must be in line for the Glow Trail by 7 pm or the Winter Wonder Walk by 8:30 PM. Upon arrival, all guests will be assigned a Glow Trail time.
Adventure Center of Asheville, 85 Expo Drive, Asheville, NC 28806
Located just 5 minutes from Downtown Asheville and behind Sam’s Club
While the Winter Wonder Walk Festival area is accessible by wheelchair or stroller, the actual Winter Wonder Walk trail is not. At the Adventure Center, many of our “walking” areas are thick gravel. So small wheeled strollers, carts, and wheelchairs usually do not work well.
Check-In and Cancellations
Upon arrival at The Adventure Center of Asheville please follow the fence and lights to the Entrance. A greeter will send you to the correct place to check-in for either the Winter Wonder Walk or Combo Pass.
***** Online Combo Pass Winter Wonder Walk/Aerial Glow Trail waivers should be completed when making reservations to significantly reduce wait time at check-in. Click here for a waiver.
Due to the anticipated volume, all reservations are final and cannot be canceled/refunded. Combo passes may be transferred in advance by contacting the Adventure Center of Asheville at 828-225-2921. “No shows” cannot transfer their time. Transfers are based on space availability and may be limited due to capacity maximums.
We are dedicated to making Winter Wonder Walk a true community event and are honored to be a part of your holiday celebrations.
- Memories Making Meals with each ticket donating 4 meals to MANNA Foodbank. In the past 2 years, we have donated 38,400 meals to MANNA.
- Camp Lakey Gap– $1 from each beer/wine sold to Camp Lakey Gap.
- We also support Give Kids The Music and The Boy Scouts.
Groups and Birthday Parties
You may bring a group or a Birthday Party to the Winter Wonder Walk. Just buy your block of tickets via the links above. Food or drink are not allowed to be brought in after 5pm. Also, if your group has combo passes, you must check in together to be able to climb the Glow Trail at the same time.
Your Wintery Hosts
The Winter Wonder Walk is produced by Asheville Plays! Asheville Plays! was founded by a local husband and wife team, Arica Haro and Hans Banzer who create lasting memories through the power of play. The Haunted Trail and Winter Wonder Walk are Asheville Plays! signature events. Each year we are hoping to make our trails a treasured part of your family’s tradition.
- What makes us different? We literally bring the magic to life with our cast of talented actors and immersive storyline. Although we will still have a lighted walk throughout the woods, our focus is more on creating an interactive and theatrical story walk.
- Is it kid/family-friendly? Yes! We stick to classic Holiday themes with Jack Frost as the main character.
- What time should I get there? Doors open at 6:00 in the Festival Area. Then the Winter Wonder Walk will open with actors from 6:30-8:30 pm. If you are climbing the Aerial Glow Trail, too, please arrive between 5:45 and 6:30 pm to check in and have time to climb the Aerial Glow Trail and walk the Winter Wonder Walk. The Glow Trail will close at 7 pm and the Winter Wonder Walk will close at 8:30 pm. Please plan time to park, check in, and sign waivers.
- What is there to do other than The Winter Wonder Walk? There is a festival area with a holiday market, a kids’ play area, and a warm festival tent buzzing with local vendors, tasty concessions, and activities for the family. And of course, the aerial Glow Trail (if it is not sold out.)
- What is Memories Making Meals? It is our way of giving back to our community. For every ticket, $1 is donated to Manna Food Back which turns into 4 meals. Last year we raised $5,600 which is 22,400 meals. In the last two years, we have raised money for 38,400 meals.
- May I bring our own food & beverages? Food and Beverages are not allowed to be brought in after 5pm.
- Is the event outside? Yes, other than the heated tent area, the Winter Wonder Walk is a trail walk through the woods. Please dress for the weather outdoors and wear appropriate shoes.
- Can we bring strollers or wheelchairs? The walkways of the Adventure Center are deep gravel. The Winter Wonder Walk is on an outdoor trail with layers of carpet, roots, rocks, etc. While we try our best to make it an easy walking trail, strollers and wheelchairs are not recommended.
- If we buy a Combo Pass Ticket, do I need to fill out a waiver if we just came to the Adventure Center or Kolo Bike Park? Yes, the Combo Pass waiver includes the Winter Wonder Walk waiver and a new one must be completed each year. Here is the link!
- What about the weather? We plan to operate in most weather, however, if the weather is not cooperating, we will make our call by approximately 11 am. We will post it on our Facebook page and the Adventure Center of Asheville’s page. If we end up canceling a show day, your tickets will be honored on the next show day available. If there is bad weather on the last day, we will let you know how we will proceed.
- Do you take credit cards? We accept cash and credit cards at all concessions and registration. We are highly encouraging our vendors to do as well.
Support Our Sponsors
Aerial Glow Trail Rules and Regulations
- Climbers must be at least 4 years old, certain ages require an adult escort.
- Climbers must be 265 lbs. or less
- Climbers must have closed toed shoes that are secure and protect the feet.
- Climbers must attend training on safety gear, course equipment and structures within the park.
- Climbers must demonstrate the ability to perform specific transfer tasks independently.
- Climbers must be able to read, understand, and accept all park and ranger instructions in English.
- Climbers that are 18 years and older may escort or supervise younger climbers.
- Climbers must only use trails designated as appropriate based on age restrictions.
- Climbers must limit access to the course to authorized times during operating hours.
- Climbers must remain clipped to the safety system at all times while climbing on the course.
- Climbers must accept all risks involved in participation and sign a release of liability waiver
- Climbers must use equipment and gear properly as instructed and required by manufacturer.
- The Purple, Green, and Blue Trails will be the only trails available for this event.