Boy Scout Merit Badge Adventure Weekend
Hosted by the Daniel Boone Council & Adventure Center of Asheville
May 18 & 19, 2019
Merit Badge workshops include:
- Automotive Maintenance
- Citizenship in the Nation
- Citizenship in the Community
- Citizenship in the World
- Emergency Preparedness
- Engineering & Electricity
- First Aid
- Game Design
- Goin’ Great
- Law & Journalism
- Nova Award: Shoot!
- Personal Management
- Space Exploration
- Traffic Safety
- Veterinary Medicine
- Adult Class for Females in Scouting
- Mountain Biking
Pricing and Details
- $25/scout, $5/adult-includes merit badge sessions for the day, lunch and patch
- All merit badge sessions will be at Asheville Catholic School, 12 Culvern Street, Asheville, NC, 28804. (Mountain Biking will be at Kolo at the Adventure Center.)
Optional Adventure Activities at the Adventure Center of Asheville include:
Camping at the Adventure Center
Saturday night, May 18- $10/person for camping, Saturday night cracker barrel, Sunday hot breakfast
(optional Friday night camping for out of town troops)
Asheville Treetops Adventure Park–Saturday Twilight at 7:30pm & Sunday at 9am
ATAP is a challenge course in the trees that has over 70 unique climbing, rolling, walking, jumping, swinging, and rappelling challenges anchored to over 30 trees and towering poles tucked into a wooded park. There are 6 different adventure trails ranging from beginner to challenging levels. There are several elements that are representative of the activities you can do in North Carolina including a sky kayak, a parkway tunnel, a snowboard in the sky, swinging hula hoops, bumper boats and a zip hang glider, all in the trees that make this a "Truly Asheville Adventure."
We use a new technology called "smart belays" that, when used properly, are designed to assure Park Guests are attached to safety systems at all times and cannot detach from the system until they have completed the aerial trail and are back on the ground. Guests can explore freely knowing the safety system monitors their attachments and is designed to not allow accidental unclipping from the safety points. It is an active adventure that incorporates physical fitness and personal accomplishment.
For the Twilight trip, watch the world transform from dusk to night while climbing in the trees. Trails will be illuminated to give climbing the obstacles a new perspective. Over 15,000 colored lights, plus colorful lasers sparkling on thousands of leaves, cables, rope, and platforms throughout the park will create a mystical tree climbing experience like you can’t imagine.
- Ages 4 and over (trail restrictions for younger ages)
- Escorts and/or monitors needed for younger ages
- 2 hours of adventure
- Red Trail is not open for Twilight.
- Max weight of guest is 265 lbs.
- Guests must be able to walk on challenge elements like swinging bridges, climb steps, and balance. While, the beginner trails are not strenuous, they do require the participant to have balance and some flexibility.
Asheville Zipline Canopy Adventure Express Tour - Saturday at 6PM and Sunday at 9AM
An urban canopy tour that includes 7 ziplines and 1 sky bridge in treetop platforms on several large adventure towers with mountain and skyline views of Asheville. The sky bridge is an opportunity to slow down and look around in our largest trees to learn about the history of the city and the trees.
AZCA offers the best of many worlds. It is convenient to Asheville and exciting. It is urban with views of downtown Asheville. And it is set on a 124-acre resort and designated tree preserve perched in and amongst some of the oldest and largest oak trees in Asheville. Zippers will enjoy scenic mountain views, as well as spectacular views of the Asheville skyline, as they fly through tree-lined corridors.
- ages 8 and over
- all guests must weigh between 70 and 250 lbs.
- 2 hours
- Boy Scout Troop 61 will provide an adult chaperone for each trip
Kolo Bike Park Weekend Pass
Part of the Adventure Center of Asheville is a bicycle experience called Kolo Bike Park with approx. 3 miles of purpose-built mountain bike and cyclo-cross trails; wooden features with a jump line on rolling terrain; and an adult and kids pump track. We like to think of it as a mountain bike sampler-pack. Some of the features you'll find are:
- Machine-built flow trail with dirt berms and rollers
- 2 pump tracks for beginner and advanced
- Wooden balance features and bridges
- Wooden step-down and gap jumps
- Dirt jump area with jumps ranging from easy to difficult
- 180-degree wood berm
The park is designed for all rider levels. Whether you're just learning, taking it easy, or looking to push your edge a bit - you'll find a taste of it at Kolo Bike Park. Hand-built single track in wooded space
- Helmet and closed toe shoes are required
- Pass is available from Saturday at 5pm until Sunday at 5pm
SPACE IS LIMITED - PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
For more information:
Please contact Bill Osborne at firstname.lastname@example.org for more Merit Badge Adventure information.
Please contact Sarah Dickson at email@example.com for more Adventure Center information.