The Adventure Center of Asheville is excited to host the 11th annual Haunted Trail presented by Mellow Mushroom, Asheville’s only family-friendly haunt! The Haunted Trail is created and brought to life by Asheville Plays. This event is ideal for Halloween lovers of all ages, however, kids age 3-12 is the suggested age range. This is the fourth year that the Adventure Center has hosted this one-of-a-kind live outdoor theatrical experience where guests are promised an entirely immersive and interactive spooky night out. Every year the show is loved by boils and ghouls from all over WNC and we hope to see you there!
The Haunted Trail
The Haunted Trail is 15 live-action outdoor scenes with magical lights and spooky sounds portraying renditions of classic Halloween themes. It is a one-of-a-kind live theatrical experience on an outdoor trail without contact or gore. Geared towards families with kids ages 3-12, visit the Alien Landing, Creepy Circus, and Haunted Pumpkin Patch which are all a part of the trail.
For your little ghouls, The ‘Sweet Peek Tour’ is offered nightly at 6:30 pm. This is a guided tour for younger guests who still aren’t sure about being scared, even for fun. The trail is actor free at this time and they can decide if they would like to re-enter the line and receive the full show.
Play while you wait! The line to enter the Haunted Trail surrounds the game field. Kids can pop out of line to participate in contests and play Asheville Plays Monster-Sized Games.
Aerial Glow Trail
The Treetops Adventure Park Aerial Glow Trail is also available for guests 4 years or older! Climb on two of our aerial trails while they are illuminated with thousands of colorful twinkle and laser lights. Please review the Glow Trail Section below for age requirements and adult escorts.
If you want to enjoy both of these amazing activities, combo passes are available and WILL sell out, so make sure you reserve your tickets early! *The Haunted Trail does not sell out, however, the entrance closes at 9 pm.
Pirates Cove at the Festival Area
Visit our 30 foot Pirate Ship ! If you are up for a game, visit the Pirate Ship Escape Room to “test ‘yer wit mateys!” 10 voyages are available nightly for purchase with groups of up to 6 per voyage. Check in at the pirate ship for your escape time.
Meet a live Mermaid with a photo opportunity. Then walk the plank at the obstacle course or feed a shark.
Eat, Drink and Be Scary!
- Grab dinner at the event! Mellow Mushroom will be serving up delicious pizza. You can preorder a whole pizza for the family when you buy your ticket. Or slices will be available onsite.
- Fresh Hot Donuts & Popcorn
- S’mores for purchase to roast at the Bonfire
- Local Beer and Wine for the big ghouls
- Hot Chocolate & Cider
- Devils Foot Beverages & Sodas
Under the Big Tent
Under the white tent you will find the concessions, Little Ghouls Play Area, and meet our sponsors. You can also get your face painted, purchase balloon art, and snap a photo at our photo booth.
It is a perfect way to celebrate the Halloween season with family and friends!
Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
on the Haunted Trail.
Combo Passes with Glow Trail may sell out.
Haunted Trail tickets do not.
6:00 Festival Area & Pirates Cove Doors Open
6:00- 7:00 Arrival Time for Aerial Glow Trail if you have tickets for the Combo Pass. Access will be assigned on arrival.
6:30 Haunted Trail “Sweet Peek Tour” is recommended for ages 3 & 4 or anyone nervous about entering the trail. This tour will include only scenes, no actors with the option to come back through the Haunted Trail later when live actors are present.
6:30 Aerial Glow Trail Open
7:00 Haunted Trail Open
9:00 ALL LINES Close
Ages 3 and under at the HAUNTED TRAIL ONLY | Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
HAUNTED TRAIL ONLY | Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
COMBO PASS: HAUNTED TRAIL & 2 AERIAL GLOW TRAILS | Adults (18+) MUST accompany minors
Glow Trail access will be assigned on arrival.
Mellow Mushroom Large Pizzas (8 slices) are available to pre-order with your Haunted Trail tickets or Combo Passes. Choose between Cheese, Pepperoni and Vegetarian. Then pick them up at the Mellow Mushroom table under the tent from 6-8pm.
- Oct 6-7
- Oct 13-14
- Oct 20-22- Oct 22 is Sensory Friendly Night *
- Oct 27-30
Aerial Glow Trail
- Ages 4 and over
- Ages 4-6 can climb the Purple Trail twice without a paid adult escort (this trail is mainly on the ground.) They are Required to have an adult watching.
- Ages 4-6 can choose to climb the higher Green or Blue Trails (10 feet high) but are Required to have 1 paying/climbing adult escort (18+) per child.
- Ages 7- 12 can climb the (10 feet high) Green or Blue Trails by themselves but require an adult (18+) watching.
- Ages 13+ must have an adult on property.
- As these aerial trails are only 10 feet off the ground, they are a perfect Halloween treat for all ages including adults! (Yellow, Orange, Red, & Black trails will not be open or available for this event.)
- To climb the Aerial Glow Trail, every participant must:
- be wearing closed-toe shoes
- be wearing clothing that a full-body harness (with leg and arm straps) can fit over
- be able to fit a helmet on their head
- The maximum weight limit is 265 lbs.
- Waivers signed by legal guardians are required. Please fill out the required waivers at the time of purchase to save time at check-in. (2023 Adventure Center of Asheville and/or Kolo Bike Park waivers are not valid for this event, you must fill out a 2023 Combo Pass waiver to participate.)
IMPORTANT: With a COMBO PASS, arrive between 6:00 and 7:00. Each activity will take between 45 minutes and an hour depending upon lines. Guests must be in their last line for either activity by 8:45 PM. Upon arrival, all guests will be assigned a Glow Trail time.
The Scary Details
The Adventure Center of Asheville, 85 Expo Drive, Asheville, NC 28806
Located just 5 minutes from Downtown Asheville and behind Sam’s Club
While the Haunted Trail Festival area is accessible by wheelchair or stroller, the actual Haunted Trail is not. Many of our “walking” areas are thick gravel. So small wheeled strollers usually do not work well.
Check-In and Cancellations
Upon arrival at The Adventure Center of Asheville please follow the fence and lights to the Entrance. A greeter will send you to the correct place to check-in for either the Haunted Trail or Combo Pass.
***** Online Combo Pass Haunted Trail/Aerial Glow Trail waivers should be completed when making reservations to significantly reduce wait time at check-in. Click here for a waiver.
Due to the anticipated volume, all reservations are final and cannot be canceled/refunded. Combo passes may be transferred in advance by contacting the Adventure Center of Asheville at 828-225-2921. “No shows” cannot transfer their time. Transfers are based on space availability and may be limited due to capacity maximums.
We are dedicated to making The Haunted Trail a true community event and honored to be a part of your holiday celebrations.
- BOO To Hunger – We say Boo To Hunger by donating 4 meals per ticket to MANNA Foodbank. In the past 2 years, we have donated 38,400 meals to MANNA.
- Sensory Friendly Night – Halloween Is For Everyone! Sensory Friendly Night is sponsored by Great Smiles and Camp Lakey Gap. This night will operate normally, however, there will be a special check-in booth for Sensory Friendly Night offering special services for those who request them.
- We also support Give Kids The Music and The Boy Scouts.
Groups and Birthday Parties
You may bring a group or a Birthday Party to the Haunted Trail. Just buy your block of tickets via the links above. Full Pizzas are also available for pre-purchase. However, there is no further discount and no food or drink are allowed to be brought in after 5pm. Also, if your group has combo passes, you must check in together to be able to climb the Glow Trail at the same time.
Your Haunted Hosts
The Haunted Trail is produced by Asheville Plays!. Asheville Plays! was founded by a local husband and wife team, Arica Haro and Hans Banzer who create lasting memories through the power of play. The Haunted Trail is Asheville Plays! signature event, and they are striving to make The Trail a treasured part of your family’s tradition.
*Sensory Friendly Night is October 22
Join us for a “Sensory-Friendly” walk through the Haunted Trail sponsored by Great Smiles. In cooperation with Camp Lakey Gap Autism Programs, we will be providing a family-friendly Haunted Trail experience with special accommodations for youth or adults with sensory issues.
How does Sensory Friendly Night work?
- The Haunted Trail will be operating normally on this night (we do not use strobe lights on the Trail.)
- If you want a sensory-friendly experience, check in at the Sensory Friendly Night booth beside Pirates Cove. It will be indicated with a banner, table, and counselors in Sensory Friendly Night t-shirts.
- The counselors will allow you to bypass the waiting line, and enter the Trail through a special entrance.
- On the Trail, the counselor can walk ahead of your group to alert the actors depending on your needs (i.e. no jump scares, get out of sight, etc.)
- You may also enter the Trail at 6:30 pm. During this time, it is not yet dark and there are no actors. Actors enter the Trail at 7 pm.
- Is it kid/family friendly? Yes! We take special care to introduce kids to Halloween without traumatizing them. We stick to classic Halloween (witches, pirates, etc.) There is no blood and gore. All scenes have a barrier and nothing will touch you or chase you. It is created for kids age 3-12.
- What time should I get there? Doors open at 6:00 in the Festival Area. The Haunted Trail Sweet Peak is at 6:30 – meaning no actors, just scenes. Then the Haunted Trail is open with actors from 7-9 pm. If you are climbing the Aerial Glow Trail, too, please arrive between 6-7 pm to check in and have time to climb the Aerial Glow Trail and walk the Haunted Trail. All trails close at 9 pm. Please plan time to park, check-in, and sign waivers.
- We are excited but a little nervous. Totally understandable. We have a Sweet Peek Tour at 6:30 before it gets dark. At this time, there are no actors on the trails, only scenes. Then if you feel comfortable, you may come back through later when actors are present.
What is there to do other than The Haunted Trail? There is a festival area with a life-size Pirate Ship Escape Room, Giant Games (like Connect-4, Broom Jousting, Jenga), a Kids Play Wall, Crafts, Live Contests. There will also be Mellow Mushroom Pizza, Doughnuts, Pop Corn, Ice Cream, Local Beer and Coffee/Hot Chocolate for sale. And of course, the aerial Glow Trail (if it is not sold out.)
What is Boo to Hunger? It is our way of giving back to our community. For every Haunted Trail Ticket, $1 is donated to Manna Food Back which turns into 4 meals. Last year we raised $5,600 which is 22,400 meals. In the last two years, we have raised money for 38,400 meals.
- May I bring our own food & beverages? Food and Beverages are not allowed to be brought in after 5pm.
- If we buy a Combo Pass Ticket, do I need to fill out a waiver if we just came to the Adventure Center or Kolo Bike Park? Yes, the Combo Pass waiver includes the Haunted Trail waiver and a new one must be completed each year. Here is the link!
Support Our Sponsors
Aerial Glow Trail Rules and Regulations
- Climbers must be at least 4 years old, certain ages require an adult escort.
- Climbers must be 265 lbs. or less
- Climbers must have closed toed shoes that are secure and protect the feet.
- Climbers must attend training on safety gear, course equipment and structures within the park.
- Climbers must demonstrate the ability to perform specific transfer tasks independently.
- Climbers must be able to read, understand, and accept all park and ranger instructions in English.
- Climbers that are 18 years and older may escort or supervise younger climbers.
- Climbers must only use trails designated as appropriate based on age restrictions.
- Climbers must limit access to the course to authorized times during operating hours.
- Climbers must remain clipped to the safety system at all times while climbing on the course.
- Climbers must accept all risks involved in participation and sign a release of liability waiver
- Climbers must use equipment and gear properly as instructed and required by manufacturer.
- The Purple, Green, and Blue Trails will be the only trails available for this event.